Sometimes you find out your start menu, taskbar, folder windows etc stop working, but other applications such as media player like foobar2000 or Winamp still runs in the background playing music, chances are your explorer.exe crashes and most people think the PC crashes and need to restart, and some people with average computing knowledge will open Task Manager, end the process, and run explorer.exe again. But there is actually an alternative, not so brutal way of ending the life of explorer.exe.
AddictiveTips.com points out a way to properly restart Explorer.exe in the proper way, both in Vista and XP.
1. Click the Start button.
2. Hold CTRL+SHIFT, right click on any empty area of your Start menu, you will see Properties and Exit Explorer.
3. Choose Exit Explorer.
4. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL, choose Start Task Manager.
5. Go to File>New Task(Run...)
6. Type explorer.exe, click OK.
1. Click Start>Turn Off Computer.
2. When the shutdown dialog appears, hold down CTRL+ALT+SHIFT and click Cancel, this will shut down the explorer.exe
3. Now press CTRL+ALT+DEL to start the Task Manager.
4. Click File>New Task(Run...)
5. Type explorer.exe, click OK.
Source : http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/...ta/#comment-710
I hope you find this useful to help you avoid unnecessary restart to save your time, have a good day.